A Birth Story: Marsha Williams

A Birth Story: Marsha Williams

I woke up around 1:30 am to contractions, and I knew that these weren’t your regular Braxton hicks contractions. This was the real deal. I shook my husband out of his sleep and told him that it was time to go, but him being the amazing man that he is, he rolled back over and went to sleep (lol).

So I got out of bed, got dressed and did one more look through the hospital bag. After getting dressed I went back to wake my husband up. I again shook him out of his sleep and calmly said to him,”Babe, unless you want to deliver your daughter, we need to go to the hospital.” So he finally got up and got dressed. We then took our other two sons to my mother who was about 30 minutes on the way to the hospital.


Marsha Williams, Pregnant Mother.
Marsha Williams a few weeks before delivery.


By the time we arrived at the hospital, I was only about 3 cm dilated. Well, the hospital won’t admit you until you’re at least 5 cm. The good thing about it was that we lived 45 minutes away from the hospital, so they didn’t send me back home. The bad thing about it was that I had to work to get admitted. So for about a good hour and a half, my husband and I did some laps around the labor and delivery floor.

Admitted to the Hospital

To pass the time we watched youtube videos of some of our favorite movies and when that got old we played Dominos on our phones. Of course, me being the wife that I am I had to beat him a couple of times.

Finally, 6 am came and the nurse checked my cervix again. I had dilated enough to be admitted. We had discussed meds and the epidural weeks prior to going into labor and I had decided that I wanted to do another natural delivery. This particular OB/GYN office had doctors as well as midwives in the facility. I told my midwife that I was very interested in doing a water delivery, but because it was a liability, I was only able to do water labor. I was told that I would have to get out of the jacuzzi when it was time to actually deliver.

So finally I’m placed into the delivery room and I changed into my high-end hospital gown. The nurses came in, did what they needed to do with the IV and monitors and finally told me to go ahead and try to get some rest. As time went by, I remember being in and out of sleep as the contractions grew stronger. Finally at about 6 cm dilated, my midwife asked If I wanted to have my water broken in order to speed up the labor. Of course, I was terrified because in the past my water always broke on its own. I didn’t know what to expect or how to feel. Thankfully the pressure from them pushing into my cervix was the worst of it.

The Contractions Growing Stronger

After they broke my water, I was able to fall back to sleep but not for long. I thought it was strange, it seemed like hours had gone by and no one had been in the room to check to see how far along I was. I remember waking up in pain, the contractions had become stronger, more intense and closer together. My husband saw the level of discomfort I had been experiencing so he played soft worship music on his phone which really helped soothe me. It created a very calm atmosphere for me. He knew there wasn’t much else that he could do, so he quietly sat at my bedside and held my hand through the pain.


A Birth Story: Marsha Williams
A Birth Story: Marsha Williams


After feeling like I couldn’t take any more pain, I asked one of the nurses can we start running hot water in the jacuzzi. I was told that the water was a more natural remedy for coping with the pain. So she did just that. They walked me to the bathroom and I sat in the water. I felt a lot better, but mind you, no one had checked my cervix since the midwife broke my water. I wasn’t in the water a good 5 minutes before feeling extremely uncomfortable. I told my husband I felt like I needed to use the bathroom and that if he didn’t help me out of the tub that I was afraid I would go in the water. With this being my third child I knew that that feeling of needing to use the bathroom could only mean one thing! Baby girl’s head was coming.

“Babe! Her Head is Coming!”

My husband helped me out of the water and sat me on the toilet. As I sat in that position, the contractions literally started to push our daughter out. My husband sat in front of me while on the toilet and watched the blood drip from my body. I think he went into panic mode, he pulled every emergency call string hanging in the bathroom and pushed every call button beside the bed lol. I remember yelling to my husband “babe her head is coming”.

In the matter of a blink of an eye, I had 5 nurses in the bathroom. They came in like a SWAT team. One of the nurses put some type of blue fabric down on the floor as if to suggest that I was going to deliver her on the bathroom floor. I calmly said to them, I think I can make it back to the bed. So I had 3 nurses around me, one on the right, one on the left and one behind me with her hand directly under me, just in case my baby decided to slip and slide out.

I made it back to the bed, and in two pushes our daughter was here. Just that fast it was all over. The little life that I carried and nurtured for 9 months was finally here.


"If I had to do natural birth all over again I would." - Marsha Williams
“If I had to do natural birth all over again I would.” – Marsha Williams


If I had to do natural labor all over again I would. It was something about being in control and not being confined to a bed because of a tube in my back or a catheter in my bladder. By the grace of God on October 30th, 2017 at 10:59am, I delivered a healthy 6 lb 11 oz healthy baby girl.

Sincerely, Marsha
Marsha Williams

We'd love to hear your thoughts