Y’all I cannot believe it’s only been two years since I started this blog! I’ve been saying 3 years for the longest. Could be because I’m not the best at calculating years, months and days (it’s confusing!). Or probably more so that so much has happened and changed from the day I made my first post “Let Go, Let That Mama Flow“. It’s been quite a ride, and when I consider it’s only been two years, I can quiet the self-doubt and assure myself that much has been accomplished. I’ve grown so much as a blogger and a woman because of SincerelyMrsMommy.
I posted on Social Media that I would make a Question and Answer post of the 5 most common questions I get about the blog and myself. Honestly, I didn’t get the influx of questions I thought I would get. However, there are several questions I get asked over and over a few times a month. So I’ll just answer them here. 😊
- What made you decide to start a blog?
- What are your goals and dreams for the blog?
- I admire how honest and transparent you are. How and why do you do it?
- How do you come up with the blog topics? Where do you find women to share?
- I want to start a blog. Do you have any advice?
What made you decide to start a blog?
I’m a big research junkie! So right before I had my first child, I researched a lot about pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum. One day I would love to become a Doula or New Mom Coach or something like that. Anyway, so I learned all these alternative and natural ways of doing things and whenever I’d get asked about it, I’d struggle with saying too much or not enough. I wanted a platform where I could share all these gems I learned, where women could come back to read when they were ready to digest it all.
What are your goals and dreams for the blog?
You’re reading it here first! I want to become the Oprah of the blogging world! Yup, just decided that and added it to my vision board a couple weeks ago. I take pride in the fact that Sincerely, Mrs. Mommy is a place where women can share their personal stories and truths about topics we often feel we’re alone on. I feel that I’m like Oprah… a connector! I connect the uninspired and hopeless woman with other women and their stories that inspire hope, knowledge, and the desire to thrive… not just survive. The ultimate goal is that you always leave the blog feeling inspired and with a renewed faith in self that you’re not alone and that if Ms. So & So could make it through (fill in the blank), then so can you! Sharing is healing!
I admire how honest and transparent you are. How and why do you do it?
1. It’s healing and cathartic. 2. I’m tired of other women feeling like we have to live the hard parts of life in secret. 3. The community is important. You can’t truly connect with “walls” up and Social Media highlight reels. 4. I don’t want another woman to feel like she’s alone. 5. It’s part of my calling.
How do you come up with the blog topics? Where do you find women to share?
After a month-long fast from Social Media and blogging back in September 2017, I decided to be more conscious of praying to God to show me what to have on the blog. And literally, I feel like He’s downloading ideas in my head daily and sending the women to me who have the stories needed for the blog!
Remember when I said I was like Oprah, a connector? I just know so many women from different backgrounds, that I’ve met in my personal life, social media and even strangers on the “street”. So I reach out to them and ask if they’d like to share. Some pitch ideas to me that they would like to see the blog. And some women come to me as a referral from their friend or family member. I never (I hope) push for someone to share or write on the blog. Whenever you’re ready and feel like it’s the right time for you, the door is always open.
I want to start a blog. Do you have any advice?
I’ll give you three.
1. Think about the why. Why do you want to start a blog and what is your goal? Is it something you can keep momentum with even if it’s taking a slow start or not bringing in the benefits you hoped for? This will help you determine if it’s truly a blog you want to start, or if there’s a different platform you need for what you want to accomplish.
2. Do your research. There’s so much FREE information out there to get you from point A to Z and everything in between. From which website to use, hosting sites, SEO, marketing, web design, graphic design, how to maximize social media, generating income, growing your audience, blog post ideas…. everything and anything. I love Google, Pinterest, Youtube, Podcasts, Webinars, and have read a couple of books. Serious blogging past a side hobby is a LOT of work and literally can easily become a full-time job! You definitely get what you put in.
3. Give yourself space to grow. Done is better than perfect! You have to start somewhere. If you read my first few blog posts, you’ll see although the heart from where it was written is the same, the whole layout and format is different. That’s because I grew! And as tempting as it is to go back and update old posts, I know another year from now, I’ll want to update even today’s post. I love the quote that says, if you wait till the right time and everything is perfect, then you’re already too late. One of the best things I’ve learned to do is to pick a realistic level of consistency and stick to it. Just give it a go, pick a free website and try it out. You just never know what it can grow into.
I’m excited about this third year and to see where the blog will be by my Third Blogiversary! If you haven’t already, subscribe to the blog here and you’ll get the posts straight to your inbox so you can stay up to date. Thanks again for riding and vibing with me and Sincerely, Mrs. Mommy!!
Some of the popular posts I’ve written